[Tremor] Byte order problem

Niklas Barsk nibarius at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 08:53:02 PDT 2004

Hi,
I am running the lowmem branch of Tremor on a Sun Solaris workstation.
There were some problems compiling the misc.h file, both endian
versions of the union magic was compiled and caused a conflict. So I
just commented out the little endian version since I am running on a
big endian machine.

With this modification the code compiles but the output file just
contains noise. I tried to run Tremor on another Linux computer and
that gives a good output. I have decoded the same Vorbis file on both
systems and compared them with a hex editor. The difference is that
the Sun decoded file has a somewhat different byte order than the Linux.
When the Linux version has the order A B C D the Sun version has B A D C.

I have tried to comment out the big endian code instead, but the
generated file has no similarities, which I can spot, with the
correct one if I do that.

Does anyone know why this happens and how I can solve it?

Best regards
Niklas Barsk