AW: [Tremor] TI55xx implementation: stuck

Roland Wintersteller rwinters at europe.com
Sat Oct 23 11:59:01 PDT 2004

Let me briefly sum up (and give some additional) facts of this
discussion:

- You have had problems on porting Tremor to C5x DSP, but now it works.

- You were the first guy who achieved to make Ogg Vorbis run on the C5x
DSP, but in the meanwhile several others (including Johannes Sandvall
and me) got Ogg Vorbis work on C5x too.

- An ARM uC achieves better (faster) results than the C5x. We should not
forget that the ARM is a 32bit micro processor. As the most frequently
used multiply operations I have seen in the sources are 32bit x 32bit =
64bit>>32 = 32bit and the C5x DSP only supports 16bit x 16bit =
32bit>>16 = 16bit, that means, that the ARM is expected to be 4 times
(400%) faster (compared to C5x assembler code). You only saw a
performance gain of 12%.

- TI C5x compiler is not able to implement a 32bit x 32bit multiply in 4
cycles which is able in assembler. On the other side the ARM compiler is
probably not able to do a 64bit by 64bit multiply without a call to
stdlib, which is the same considering the bit depth.

- TI C5x is currently the only 16bit CPU which is able to decode Ogg
Vorbis.

I am pretty sure you will tell me, if I had forgotten anything. :-)