[Tremor] Tremor lowmem on TI 55x DSP

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Oct 8 11:09:11 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 02:06:11AM -0500, Roland Wintersteller wrote:

>    I've heard now for several times that the no-byte branch has
>    advantages over the lowmem branch on TI C5000 DSPs. A diff over the
>    two branches shows that only 3 files varies: floor1.c, bitwise.c and
>    codebook.c. I cannot see where the shown differences can have any
>    benefits. Is it possible that the repository of the no-byte branch is
>    not up-to-date?

The differences are localized to only those files that relied on byte
handing (which are the ones you named).  It's not so much that nobyte
has advantages as that it eliminates the need for a single-octet
integer type and that is required for for all the TI 5000 DSPs.  Also,
instead of just using bigger types and masking, it implements
efficient usage of the extra width.

However, it is possible the branch is out of date; I'll have a look
this weekend.

Monty