[tremor] Ogg/Vorbis report, FFT optimizations

Johannes Sandvall js at sandvall.nu
Sun Mar 14 03:16:43 PST 2004

> ARM is among the best when it comes to MIPS per Watt.
> A quick check in the datasheets tells me that the TI C5510 and ARM7 have about the same power consumpt)on.ID
> In order for the C5510 to consume less power than a ARM7, it must do the same job with fewer cycles.
> An educated guess based on the numbers in your paper is that a ARM7 will require about the same number of cycles (the same level of power consumption) as the C5510 if a ARM7 version of your FFT based MDCT is implemented.
> It would be very interesting to see some hard numbers on your FFT based MDCT for ARM7. I think it could be a winner.

There always pros and cons for a DSP or ARM based system. I just want
to clarify that the DSP market is quite important in embedded
systems. This thesis is in cooperation with Ericsson Mobile Platforms
and in order to support Ogg/Vorbis in 3G mobile platforms a DSP
solution is required (under very strict memory and MIPS constraints).

Regards

/ Johannes Sandvall