[Tremor] I wanna increase the performance of the

Roland Wintersteller rwinters
Fri Jul 23 08:15:03 PDT 2004

functionmdct_backward()

In my understanding, the function mdct_backward() is the implementation
of the inverse discrete cosine transform in the way it is described in
the paper from Sporer, Brandenburg and Edler ? ?The use of multirate
filter banks for coding of high quality digital audio?.
(das.iocon.com/res/docs/ps/eusipco_corrected.ps)

The used algorithm fulfils a couple of important features:
-          in-place calculation: same buffer for input and output data
-          minimum of add, multiply, storage instructions
-          only little rounding errors

There are several other implementations of MDCT and IMDCT available.
Some people prefer FFT-based MDCT/IMDCT-implementations. The reason
therefore is, that for a number of processors ready-to-use
assembler-optimized FFT- functions are available. Nevertheless, the
IMDCT is one of the most time-consuming steps in the decoding process.

Regards, Roland

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----