[Tremor] Tremor implementation

Monty xiphmont
Wed Jul 21 14:00:57 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 06:25:35PM +0530, vijay raghunath wrote:
> Hi!,
>  I m intending to implement the "TREMOR" vorbis decoder on TI CCS suite 2.0 for TI 54xxx processor.
> The ANSI C code contains dynamic memory allocation, which I intent to remove for implementing on CCS.

Tremor's memory allocation can be reimplemented using a fixed-size
heap and two stacks that grow inward.  I have proof of concept code
here that does that; I would need to clean it up a bit to hand over,
but the concept is sound.

> Can anyone tell me how is the maximum file size I should allocate for a vorbis audio file, so that I can do away with dynamic memory allocation for implementing on CCS suite

Depends on the version of tremor (you want the most aggressive version
for a TI c54xx as well as the 'nobyte' variant; it will require about
22 kWords for a recent Vorbis file and about 38kWords for older
files).  Vorbis does not place restrictions of the entropy model size,
and this is the primary memory-user for playback, however, the above
numbers will catch every encoder to date (and encoders are officially
encouraged to stay under these limits).

Monty