[tremor] floor0

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Wed Mar 19 07:54:37 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 10:31, patrick matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it necessary to support floor0 in an embedded implementation?
> Could not locate any streams with floor0 in use. The documention
> indicates that encoder beta 4 release uses it. Anybody using that
> version?
>
> Regards,
> Patrick.

Monty is the final authority here, but here's my take on this. floor0 is
part of the Vorbis I specification, so if your device doesn't handle
floor0, it's not 100% spec compliant. Period.

Beta4 was the last encoder to use floor0, and that was over two years
ago, so not supporting floor0 is unlikely to be a problem if you only
want to play recently encoded files. However, nothing would stop a
future third-party vendor to come out with an encoder that uses floor0
at their discretion, since it is part of the specification.

If you do choose not to support floor0, at the very least you will have
to note prominently that the decoder is not 100% compliant with the
specs and does not play all Vorbis I files.

Hope this helps,

Carsten Haese.
Ogg Traffic Editor, Xiph.org Foundation