[tremor] Minimum hardware requirements

Jerry Durand jd at interstellar.com
Fri Jan 31 05:41:44 PST 2003

At 08:21 PM 1/30/2003, you wrote:

>Most dsp's have builtin sram; the dram would be for buffering
>(or would you actually buy a meg or more of sram just for that?)

Depends on the DSP.  The cheapest DSPs don't support DRAM without external
hardware.

>enough to do the decoding.  But you still need to buffer.

That sounds like a much better number.

>>SRAM to run it.  So, we really DO care about the amount of memory.  In
>>one of my typical designs, the SRAM draws 5X or more power than the DSP
>>and costs more, too.
>
>Surely you don't keep all of the program in sram at all time?

Most of the programmers I work with do just that.  They consider the
external SRAM the slow memory (1 or more wait states and ties up the
external data bus), the fast memory is internal to the DSP (few nS access
time in parallel to external data accesses).  They swap program segments
into the internal RAM to execute.  Since most DRAM is now SDRAM, it takes
even longer to set up a read, but at least the burst transfers are quicker.

A typical telecom design that I've done many times has 512KB of data and
512KB of program SRAM external and no DRAM.  A high end board (like
multiple video streams being compressed) has no external SRAM, but does
have 32MB of SDRAM (and a DSP that costs over $100 in quantity).

Jerry Durand
Durand Interstellar, Inc.
219 Oak Wood Way
Los Gatos, California 95032-2523  USA