[tremor] Using Tremor in embedded systems

Jean-François Ménard jfmenard at envitech.com
Fri Feb 7 11:39:10 PST 2003

Hello,

We would like to use Tremor in our embedded system (ARM720T based) using an
RTOS.  Our embedded C library contains only a limited subset of the full
ANSI C library.  I am trying to handle the problems.

First, we have no <stdio.h> functions available.  Reading your
documentation, I figured I could remove all functions using FILE * structure
since I will populate ov_callbacks and use ov_open_callbacks().

Next, we have no <malloc.h>, <alloca.h> or <memory.h> available and problems
arises with the alloca() function that is not found by linker.  Could we use
another technique for memory allocation, like pre-allocating a temporary
data structure in OggVorbis_File and using this instead of the stack or
malloc?  i.e. One could add into OggVorbis_File : "int ptempdata[0x400];" if
1 kByte of working memory area is sufficient and then adapt the functions
accordingly.

I can't do this since I don't know the theorical memory limits of each call
to alloca() or _ogg_malloc.  Could Tremor be adapted in this way in a
resonably short time?  Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks!