[tremor] Tremor performance on x86 machines

Corey Miller akheron at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 22:56:53 PST 2003

I am currently working on a linux distro designed to give legacy
hardware the basic abilities a modern computer has.  My target machine
to make it seem like it's running on a brand new computer is a 486/33.
One really important feature would be music playing.  I was planning on
using the ogg vorbis format for it.  Since I see performance such as
%12 CPU use by tremor while playing on small handheld based processors,
I was thinking tremor would be my best choice .  Since I plan on
compiling and installing each piece during installation of my distro
and use hardware detection, I could make it so if the computer's
processor is under a certain level of power, it would make tremor with
the low accuracy flag.  And since to keep things simple and unbloated
this would be the only music format other than the standards like wav,
that could be decoded in real time.  So I was going to write many
scripts for handling other formats, make it so people rip CDs, the
quality settings would be based on their computer, and when they
download or recieve music somehow, it would be encoded into ogg, yet
again through a script deciding the best quality settings for them.
Simply, it would base the -q setting on a few factors, the hard drive
size (if their legacy hardware has a ~150 meg hard drive I don't want
it encoding at -q 7) and their IO speed and RAM, so files don't get so
large that they are limited by not being able to be read fast enough
off the drive or need to be cached so much that it has to use virtual
memory for that.  But more importantly for the topic of my message, the
scripts would decide the ripping and converting sampling rate and
number of channels.  This would be based on the speed of the computer.
Because an 11khz mono vorbis file, from what I hear, uses only a
fraction of the processing power to decode that a 44khz stereo file
does.  The question I'm getting down to is this.  I don't have my test
equipment or the dev system as of yet, or any x86 to test this one, so
I need to know, would the tremor engine with the low accuracy mod be
able to decode an 11 khz mono vorbis file in real time without eating
up too much CPU?  Hopefully they could listen to something of this low
quality while browsing the net or something.