[tremor] version-info problem

Chris Gilbert chris at dokein.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 17:58:20 PDT 2002

Hi,

Just had a quick play with tremor on my NetBSD/cats box, it looks pretty
nifty, I've not really compared the speed to anything yet, but I did stumble
on one problem:

version-info for libtool, please can you check the info page for libtool and
use version-info appropriatly, IE really the version info should be set to
something like:
V_LIB_CURRENT=1
V_LIB_REVISION=2
V_LIB_AGE=0

rather than:
V_LIB_CURRENT=1
V_LIB_REVISION=0
V_LIB_AGE=2

As AGE just shouldn't be > CURRENT
or alternatively use -release, and not -version-info.

Another oddity I noticed, is there any reason why signed-char is used?  The
arm ELF ABI specifies that char's are unsigned. Technically you could break
the interface to OS routines by using fsigned-char (although unlikely but
there could be some corner cases).  If you really want signed chars it would
be better to use a signed type, of course I guess it's probably part of the
heritage of the code.  (I seem to spend lots of time fixing code where ppl
have assumed that char will always be signed *sigh*)

Overall this is looking really good, might see if I can just feed the output
straight to my USB speakers (I think they do the right format natively 8)

I might also have a tinker with profiling (although I have to say that it's
dog slow as it disables all inlining, including the 64bit multiply stuff
*Sigh*)

Cheers,
Chris