[tremor] inline'd functions under MSVC or poor tremor output

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Sep 4 23:16:15 PDT 2002

> In order to get the tremor library/example to compile under MSVC, I
> had to change all the functions that were tagged as 'inline' functions
> to '__inline', since I was compiling as a 'C' project.

This was indeed meant to be caught by the #ifdef jail in os.h.

> Also, to evaluate the tremor library, I encoded a raw PCM file using
> oggenc, with the following options:
>
> oggenc -r -B 16 -C 1 -R 11025 -b 20 -q 0 filename.raw
>
> and decoded it using 1) oggdec and again using 2) the tremor example code,
> and got different outputs (all done on a Windows 2000 PC).

Different output is not surprising as oggdec is using floating point,
subject to rounding differences, and Tremor is not.  The differences
should be insignificant.

> tremor.exe < filename.ogg > tremor.raw
>
> The tremor output was not as good as the oggdec output.
> The tremor output had a 'hiss' sound resulting from samples values that
> were wrong, especially in quiet parts of the orginal file, possibly due to
> round off errors(?), or did I do something wrong, or does tremor not
> support this bitrate, sampling rate (some other option that I used to
> encode the orginal).

Tremor supports all the same Vorbis insfrastructure that the floating
point encoder does.  Nor should it have perceptably greater noise.
Thus something is wrong, although it's not clear from the original
mail where the problem could be.

Would you mail me your .ogg and .raw files resulting from oggdec and
tremor decode?  I'll compare them against a known-good build here
(Unlike the floating point libs, Tremor should give bit-identical
decode on any platform).

BTW, mail those files directly to me, not to the list.

Monty