[tremor] Support for ARM ASM with non GNU based tools

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Sep 11 13:25:30 PDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 07:13:48PM -0400, marc dukette wrote:
> I take it no one has any interest in getting the ARM assembly to work on
> Microsoft compiler, guess I will have to bone up on my GCC specific
> assembly.  It would be nice if someone would at least explain why you are
> using GCC specific assembly syntax for the ARM assembly.  Is there some
> benefeit to be gained, that can not be done with seperate ASM files, or
> other compilers? Is it even possbile to port this code?

It's not 'GCC specific', it's standard AT&T asm syntax, which most of
the world (except Intel) uses :-) Using it with GCC-style inlines
manages the complexity of the code well; you can surgically insert ASM
into tight areas easily, rather than the requirement of building
complete functions out of it.  It makes life much easier.

Also, GCC compiles for everything.  Absolutely everything.  By
supporting GCC, we eliminate most cross-platform and porting issues.

MSVC is a nice and convenient product, but you're making the choice to
tie yourself to a single OS and single proprietary product when you
use it.  Aside from the project management issues we'd have with that,
we don't even have it in our budget to buy the required copies of
MSVC.  Proprietary development environments cost alot more money than
we have.

Monty