[tremor] A possible improvement for some of the processor where tables hit hard

marc dukette dukette at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 13 13:01:56 PDT 2002

I have replaced the mask table in bitwise.c with the following, and while it
has little to no effect on an SA processor it does appear to help the
version we have running on MIPS, so it may be of value to other processors
as well:

old:
  unsigned long m= mask[bits];

new:
  unsigned long m= (((unsigned int)-1)>>(32-bits));

and of course you can now remove the mask table.  I'm just throwing this
out, not sure if it's worth adding to the standard or not.