[theora] NHW 0.2.3 version - visual performance

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 16:42:13 UTC 2022

Hello,

Just a message as I have visually evaluated this weekend the last 0.2.3
version of NHW (mainly on "good quality neat" images), because I little
rushed to publish the 0.2.3 version without correctly visually testing it,
and in fact I am really satisfied with the level of neatness reached
now.Neatness is really the "innovative" aspect I want to put forward with
NHW, and this new version could start to be convincing... I also started to
work a couple months ago on a full-neatness version or a -neatness-boost
switch, I have even more neatness level but the problem for now is that it
also oversharpens the image which on the other hand visually hurts a
little... So for now the latest 0.2.3 version has the most correct and good
neatness, and it would be really great if some of you could reconsider
NHW.As fewer and fewer people seem to follow my work, I wanted to let you
know that if you tested NHW 2-3 years ago and was not convinced, hope you
could give a second chance at the 0.2.3 version because for me it starts to
be interesting... -but really don't know if the industry for example will
change its mind...-

Also quickly as I previously said, the biggest challenge now for NHW is
maybe to design a post-processing filter that will remove aliasing from NHW
images, actually I have seen that anti-aliasing processings exist, I have
notably read that anti-aliasing could be used in super-resolution, if
someone could point me some documentation on this, it would be great!

Any feedback/opinion on the new 0.2.3 version is very welcome!

Cheers,
Raphael