[theora] NHW Project - Is there interested people?

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Fri May 7 15:18:15 UTC 2021

Hello,

Just a quick note, some people told me in the past that I must adapt NHW to
any image size else nobody will consider and use it.That's certainly right,
but again I am working on NHW on my spare time and this task is too
exhausting for me.Also, I feel now that it is useless, as I have read that
in the very next months, the great AVIF and JPEG XL will be definitely
adopted everywhere on the Internet.

Some people also told me to forget about image compression and turn my
codec into a video codec, but that's also too much work for my free time.So
I have come to the conclusion that very soon when AVIF and JPEG XL will be
adopted, then I will start to progressively abandon/stop the NHW Project,
because it is also nearly 15 years that I am working on it and since the
last years, I have seriously started to lose my energy for this project,
and furthermore now there is no future for it.

However it would be great to find someone that could take over the NHW
Project.Turning it into a video codec for example, because there was
interest in NHW for a MotionJPEG replacement, because a company was
considering MJPEG for low-power camera devices, and MJPEG was too
heavyweight for their processor (dual-core 240MHz Xtensa LX6, if I remember
correctly).For now with rough calculation based on the latest Independent
JPEG Group (IJG) C source code, NHW is 1.5x faster to encode than JPEG (and
2x faster to decode), but with switching off heavy processings with very
few quality loss, NHW can be 2x faster to encode than JPEG and with a
notably better quality/compression.This engineer told me that if NHW will
be 2x faster to encode than MJPEG (and with a better quality furthermore)
then this could be very interesting for such embedded products.

So again, as I think it will be soon pointless to work on NHW image
compression whereas 2 new standards will be adopted on the Internet, I
wanted to let you know that it would be great to find
someone/company/organization that are intereted in NHW and would like to
take over the project and continue its research and development notably for
some video codec use cases.

So I would like to start to take contact as I am progressively stopping my
work on NHW, if you think you could and want to work on and take over the
NHW Project, or would know such a person, do not hesitate to contact me,
would be great!

Many thanks.
Cheers,
Raphael