[theora] NHW Project development

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Thu Dec 2 21:53:44 UTC 2021

Raphael,

Some 15 years ago I implemented limited functionality Theora in our cameras FPGA (it took me 6 month of hard labor), and then gave up - it is a very crowded space and it is difficult to compete with more advanced codecs. And for our other work we anyway need almost raw image data, so we are using JPEG-based JP4 format (https://community.elphel.com/jp4) that we originally developed for Google Books to compress raw Bayer mosaic images. Last few years we work with the thermal images that need 16 bit, so far uncompressed TIFF files. We need lossless 2:1 compression (current recording bandwidth is about half of the image data rate (4 channels of 640x512x60fps, 16 bits), but it will be something simple (prediction by 4 neighbors), and no video. Nature of the thermal images is different from that of the conventional RGB - there is no scaling with exposure and environmental temperature causes shift of the pixel values, not scaling.

We did not post the latest results yet, the last blog is here - https://blog.elphel.com/2021/07/calibration-of-the-lwir16-camera-prototype/

Andrey

---- On Thu, 02 Dec 2021 14:34:25 -0700 Raphael Canut <nhwcodec at gmail.com> wrote ----

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for your answer.Actually, NHW is very low-power so I think it could be geared toward any hardware.But actually I don't have hardware skills, so NHW is not a real hardware project for now maybe? I agree with you that it is extremely difficult (for me) to build a community around NHW, I'm certainly very bad/underskilled at it.Any help is welcome!

Cheers,

Raphael