[theora] new -l16 "extreme" compression quality setting

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 19:53:25 UTC 2019

 Hello,

I have added a new -l16 "extreme" compression quality setting to the NHW
Project.

This new -l16 quality setting is surprisingly good actually, because I find
it better on some images than -l15 quality setting whereas files size is
smaller.I notably find this new -l16 quality setting better than x265
(HEVC).

More at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

We can still save 2.5KB per .nhw compressed file.

I however know that this work is hopeless because the industry will soon
standardize AOM AV1 (AVIF) as the new image compression codec.I have also
read on twitter that the new JPEG XL standard will be based on AOM AV1.I
could not test AOM AV1 but I guess that if the Alliance for Open Media
never answered me it's because AOM AV1 is better than the NHW Project.

Anyway I wanted to remind the advantages of the NHW Project, it is visually
better than x265 (HEVC), it is royalty-free, and it is a lot faster to
encode/decode than x264, x265, AOM AV1,... If you think there is a niche
where the NHW Project would shine, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Many thanks!
Cheers,
Raphael