[theora] NHW Project - good improvement of very high compression (-l8 to -l13 quality settings)

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 20:31:32 UTC 2018

 Hello,

Just a quick message to let you know that I have really improved very high
compression of the NHW Project
from -l8 to -l13 quality settings, and we can still save 2.5KB per .nhw
compressed file.

Actually I am new to very high compression, it is just 3 months that I am
working on it (I put on pause the NHW Project from August 2013 to February
2018 )... And I realize that very high compression is quite difficult
because all the noticeable artifacts appear there... With this update, my
new -l13 very high compression quality setting is really better, and can
compete with x265 (HEVC) on rather good quality images, because it has more
neatness, but that's right that on "degraded" images (compressed, with
artifacts), HEVC starts to excel and be very impressive.

I find that -l13 very high compression setting is the limit where the other
codecs (WebP, x264, Rududu,...) start to perform less efficiently and have
noticeable quality drop, whereas HEVC stays excellent... I will try to
improve the NHW Project so that it stays competitive with HEVC on all type
of images at -l13 very high compression, and not on good quality only...
but it is not that easy as I want
the NHW Project to be very fast, and stay at least 50x faster to encode and
at least 15x faster to decode than x265 (optimized HEVC), and also stay
royalty-free!

More at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/ <https://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/>

Any opinion on the NHW Project is very welcome!

Many thanks for your time.
Cheers,
Raphael Canut