[theora] impossible to link against libtheoraenc (missing symbol th_comment_query_count)

Roland Plüss roland at rptd.ch
Sun Apr 23 15:08:37 UTC 2017

I've got a huge problem with libtheora. All is fine if I link only
against libtheoradec but as soon as I try to link also against
libtheoraenc everything breaks down:

libtheoraenc.so.1 dlerror: libtheoraenc.so.1: undefined symbol:
th_comment_query_count.

I've checked with NM to see how the libraries depend on each other:

nm libtheoraenc.so.1  | grep th_comment_query_count
                  U th_comment_query_count
nm libtheoradec.so.1 | grep th_comment_query_count
0000000000010b20 T th_comment_query_count

All fine, so linking order should be "-ltheoraenc -ltheoradec" but then
I get undefined symbol th_comment_query_count.

I even tried the wrong way "-ltheoradec -ltheoraenc" which obviously
also gives undefined symbol th_comment_query_count.

How in gods name is one supposed to link against libtheoraenc? What has
been fumbled up here that it is not possible to resolve this stupid
symbol? It's a T symbol, not a t symbol, so why is there a link problem?

Just to avoid questions, that's the command line (stripped of
unimportant blunder):
g++ -o ... -ltheoraenc -ltheoradec -lvorbisenc -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -logg

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland

Leader and Head Programmer
- Game: Epsylon ( http://www.indiedb.com/games/epsylon )
- Game Engine: Drag[en]gine ( http://www.indiedb.com/engines/dragengine
, http://dragengine.rptd.ch/wiki )
- As well as various Blender export scripts und game tools