[theora] NHW Image codec

Basil Mohamed Gohar basilgohar at librevideo.org
Sat Jan 17 14:01:08 PST 2015

On 01/15/2015 12:39 PM, Raphael Canut wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes, that's right.I still think that it would have more weight if I
> could claim that Xiph has reviewed the source code and find that the NHW
> codec is royalty/patent-free (better than me alone claiming
> this...).Maybe it was in this sense that Ralph Giles answered me?
>
> Cheers,
> Raphael
That's not a guarantee that anyone can make, not even a patent attorney.  The current landscape is such that "being clear of patent concerns" is impossible.  Someone can be destroyed by the legal process that results in them being exonerated, but then left with no will nor resources to continue development.

I don't say this to scare you away, just understand that asking Xiph to "clear" the patent issues doesn't make sense.  Xiph is a non-profit organization that advances the cause of free, open, and royalty-free technologies, but cannot offer a technically legal service as requested.
--
Libre Video
http://librevideo.org