[theora] NHW Image codec - improvement of precision

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 08:22:20 PDT 2012

Hello,

Just a very quick message to let you know that I have a little improved my
codec.

About the PSNR and SSIM measurements, yes that's right that my codec has
worse results than JPEG, WebP,...
If I can try to justify it(...), my codec would have an additional "source
of error", penalizing these measurements, which is maybe that it increases,
a little, neatness of image (which also certainly includes a denoising...).

So to sum up very (very) quickly, JPEG and WebP would just decrease
neatness and my codec would decrease precision and increase neatness, but
just decreasing precision would be an error...

But I am not an expert, and do not hesitate to correct me if you think it
is necessary.I also totally agree that precision is more important than
neatness.

Many thanks,
Raphael