[theora] Theora decoding performance

fboehm fboehm at aon.at
Tue May 17 23:38:04 PDT 2011

As far as my very limited knowledge goes the Theora video format is less
complex than H.264 (High Profile for example). Please correct me if I am
wrong.

Does this also mean that I can expect that decoding a Theora stream is
easier/faster to decode than a H.264 stream with comparable quality / or
comparable bitrate?

My (very practical) tests do show that it's easier for my computer to
decode the same video as Theora than H.264 which stutters more easily.
It would make sense that decoding something less complex is faster than
something more complex. At least as long as no hardware video
acceleration comes into play.

Can someone confirm this or has someone perhaps verified this in the past?

Regards,
Franz