[theora] alghorithm of working encoder in libtheora

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 18 10:24:55 PDT 2011

On 03/18/2011 12:53 PM, digital design wrote:
> I see this diagrams last week. But... Now i create hardware implementation
> of theora encoder. I take encoder from lib as reference. But for me it is
> dificult to understand funtional algorithm by this source. I sequentely
> implement step by step all logic of this coder.

This sounds like a great project.  Maybe it would be helpful for you to
look at the existing Verilog/FPGA implementation of a Theora encoder:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/elphel/files/elphel333/6.3.9/elphel_6.3.9.tar.gz/download

http://www3.elphel.com/linuxtag/talks_2005/paper-11081

This encoder from Elphel only implements a very small subset of Theora
(for example, it does not use motion vectors), so it is not very useful.
You may be able to save some time by reusing some of its code while
producing a more advanced encoder.

--Ben