[theora] ffmpeg2theora 0.28 released

dos386 dos386 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 02:49:23 PDT 2011

> Why not write a script that calls ffmpeg2theora or ffmpeg2dirac
> depending on what the target format is? This way the individual
> tools can all be kept simpler.

IMHO bad idea. Why ? The video encoder (Theora or Dirac) occupies
less than 10 % of the binary size, over 90 % are the "evil" FFMPEG
decoders and the Vorbis encoder. So with 2 separate tools you just
double the total size for no reason. BTW, FFMPEG2DIRAC still
suppports Theora output, so FFMPEG2THEORA could be
considered as obsolete (but isn't as I have some additional
problems with FFMPEG2DIRAC).

Undocumented changes in FFMPEG2THEORA 0.28:

(it still works, BTW)

* text output is now colourful (was white in <= 0.27)
* "est size" is broken, says "-0.0 MB" ... (was OK in 0.27)
* updated LibVorbis to "Xiph.Org libVorbis 1.3.2" and
  "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20101101 (Schaufenugget)"
* updated LibTheora to "Xiph.Org libtheora 1.2.0alpha
  20100924 (Ptalarbvorm)" (was Thusnelda in 0.25,
  0.26 and 0.27, as well as FD 0.2.0)
* imports from "AVICAP32.DLL" (0.27 did not have this
  issue, some earlier 0.2xx versions had, now it's back ...)