[theora] using theora for voice-audio playback

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed Oct 20 02:25:54 PDT 2010

 (I'm including the list in my reply to you.)

Just to clarify, Theora is a video format.  Speex is an audio format.
There is no obligation in either format definition to support the
decoding of the other (i.e., a Theora decoder doesn't have to support
Speex).  One application that does support that combination is VLC Media
Player, which works across Windows, Mac, & GNU/Linux.

Additionally, it is unfortunate that, while many browsers support doing
so, there is no mandatory, royalty-free format specified by HTML5 for
multimedia.  So we have the situation where Mozilla Firefox, Google
Chrome, & Opera all support Ogg Theora + Vorbis natively, Apple Safari
does not.  Microsoft Internet Explorer also has no plans to support Ogg
formats natively.  Both Safari & IE can be made to support them,
however, but require additional software to enable such support.