[theora] As I've said before...

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri May 21 13:02:28 PDT 2010

Baseless claims have never stopped anyone from suing. Barratry is a
longstanding tradition in American business.  No one here is so
hopelessly naive to expect otherwise.

If MPEG-LA wants to expose themselves as patent bullies in public,
they're welcome to all the Streisand effect they can handle.

I wondered a few weeks back after the Jobs mail if we'd finally
transitioned from 'First they laugh at you' to 'then they fight you'.
I think the answer is a little more certain post-I/O.

> The fact that a statement about a patent pool being assembled is made is
> nothing to worry about.  It becomes real when they actually take someone
> to court over it.  Everything up to that point is FUD and marketing.

Oh, it's worrying but no more worrying than similar sabre-rattling
that's been made for a decade now.  I think we were first accused of
patent infringement in 2000 by Henri Linde of Thomson (and he later
retracted that). Nothing has happened until it actually happens.  True
of software release schedules, true of litigation.

Monty