[theora] Guess everyone saw this already?

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed May 19 11:32:16 PDT 2010

On 05/19/2010 02:13 PM, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 01:55 PM, Steve Kann wrote:
>
>> Google has opened up VP8, and has lined up about 40
>> companies/organizations (including xiph) in a coordinated launch:
>>
>> http://www.webmproject.org/
>>
>> Anyone know where there are quality comparisons between H.264, Theora,
>> and VP8?
>>
>> -SteveK
>>

> Thank God for this.  This is really great news.  Thanks for sharing,
> because I didn't hear about it yet.  I literally am feeling wave of
> relief in that there are big players (specifically Google) now
> explicitly in the free-as-in-freedom, royalty free codec game.
>
> I think the battles we've been waging with Theora have really paved the
> way for this, because it showed it's feasible to use a
> free-as-in-freedom codec for these purposes.
>
> VP8 samples are still quite rare (I know I haven't seen anything but a
> screenshot so far), so I cannot comment on actual quality.  I hope the
> players in the WebM project aren't going to be hostile to a truly open
> spirit, such as continuing to be friendly with Ogg Theora as an
> alternative, especially where it's already in wide use.  Besides, while
> WebM is still being developed, Ogg Theora is right there in browsers now.
>
> Oh, I'm just giddy!  :)
>
> P.S.  Please don't start the "end of Theora" rants, either.  Theora was
> around when it was less relevant than it is now, and it was doing just
> fine.  It's a serious codec, and WebM isn't ready yet.  We'll need video
> support until then.  Anybody willing to work with WebM will also likely
> be willing to work with Ogg Theora, so chillax!

/Libre Video/ "coverage" of the announcement along with some additional
thoughts here:  http://www.librevideo.org/blog/2010/05/19/the-webm-project/

I invite everyone to share their thoughts & comments at that link.  You
no longer need to subscribe to post a comment, but comments will have to
be approved at least once per author.  If that's too annoying, I can
relax the restriction a bit.  Just trying to keep spammers at bay.  ;)