[theora] Theora Intra (ptalarbvorm) vs. MJPEG

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Wed May 12 11:34:31 PDT 2010

> However, and this is just an honest question on my part, how easy will
> it be for a consumer to work with the resulting video?  The advantage of
> using Theora Intra is that it is still fully-compliant Theora video, so
> anything that claims to support Theora video should be able to play it
> without modification.  If efficiency were the sole concern, and not
> ease-of-use with resulting video, then we'd have a lot more options
> available to us as to where we can go.

Yes, I see your point. But our experience shows that with CPU power of the
regular computers go up it makes sense to do post-processing on a host PC,
color conversion/interpolation in the camera is even more lossy than the
JPEG compression itself. Additionally most video has to be processed/edited
anyway, so combining these steps really make sense for me.

> So, having said that, what do you think we can do at this point?  Maybe
> you can explain a bit more about the processing of the JP4 video that is
> produced by your products?  For example, I downloaded and watched some
> of those JP4 videos, and, of course, they were not in a final form, but
> I also did not know what to do next with them.  Can you give us some
> idea about the chain of processing them after they've been captured?  Is
> there a way to make this as transparent as possible for end-users?  I
> love that we can discuss this idea further.

Did you get to the http://community.elphel.com/jp4/jp4demo.php ?
There is also ImageJ plugin for processing JP46 files (JP46 can be opened as
regular JPEGs, then the pixels are rearranged, JP46 has to use modified
libjpeg or similar)

So far most JP46 images were used for still images (with Elphel model 323
and 353 cameras) but now we at least some solutions for the video and
continue to work in this direction. And there could be alternatives to
literal JP4 implementation

> And to bring up the point, as Theora does show superiority to capturing
> details over JPEG, then adapting the JP4 format to use Theora's intra
> coding as the codec also seems like a win too.

Yes, it may be good at that too, what I was telling is that video recording
needs some dedicated processing/compression, moldified for the different
(from the video distribution) goals.

Andrey