[theora] Theora Intra (ptalarbvorm) vs. MJPEG

Andrey Filippov theora at elphel.com
Wed May 12 10:52:14 PDT 2010

Basil,

Let me (as a camera designer/maker) remind you what I wrote earlier - for
the video recording standard MJPEG and intra-only Theora are sub-optimal. It
seems to be more practical to record compressed Bayer data from the sensor
so the recorded data preserves virtually the same information as real "raw",
just using less bandwidth/data storage - compression is based not just on
the human perception (as in most image/video compression formats) but on the
noise model of the sensor (eliminating "garbage" data from the sensor
output) . Theora is great for distributing video, but (as is) it is not
optimal for the video recording purposes. Maybe it is possible to make a
"flavor" of it suitable for compressing raw Bayer pixels similarly to what
we were doing with JP4 as a modification of the standard JPEG.

Andrey