[theora] Why Our Civilization's Video Art and Culture is Threatened by the MPEG-LA

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Tue May 4 06:28:31 PDT 2010

On 05/04/2010 09:24 AM, Dave Johnson wrote:

> Okay, lets get some ideas for hardware answer sources. 6195496830 my cell.

Well, for starters, there's Elphel, who have already made a camera (not
necessarily a camcorder) that can record directly to Theora.  I don't
know if anyone from that project is on this list, but perhaps they can
give us some ideas about that. since it's not exactly their market, but
they have experience in that area.  I know I've thought a lot about the
idea itself, i.e., a Theoracorder (there, I've grabbed the name via
prior art!), and I think all the pieces are there.  As long as we're
willing to keep our scope, for the initial product, a bit limited, then
we'll have a higher chance to achieving success on the first run, and
then we can build upon that.