[theora] theora video plugin ? videolan plugin?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 11:50:45 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:17 AM, mysoogal mysoogal
<alexander.alisani at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, I'm Alexander a
>
> just a question ? is there a reason why there shouldn't be a web
> player for theora in Mozilla FireFox ? or Internet explorer ?  I'm thinking

As others have mentioned: Firefox, Opera, and Chrome have native
support. Safari has native support if XiphQT is installed.

IE is the exception, though hopefully the silverlight player will be
helpful there. Unfortunately the silverlight module isn't out yet as
far as I can tell.

> to compile videolan player with theora support only and enable the web
> plugin interface, it would replace the cortado player and possibly provide a
> better alternative to flash video plugin in linux when somebody starts a
> youtube type of site powered only by theora codec and theora video plugin ?

So—  I haven't tested VLC's plugin lately but a few years back it was
_very_ likely to crash the browser and resulted in many complaints at
Wikimedia.  I'm sure that it has improved a lot, but many people still
have old versions of the plugin installed so that legacy makes it a
bit hazardous to use. :(

An initiative you may find interesting is the activex control with
oggdsf: http://cristianadam.blogspot.com/2010/02/ie-tag-take-two.html
When completed this software will provide a very lightweight
implementation of the <video> tag as part of the ogg directshow codec
install.

> I'm been trying to compile videolan for 2 weeks I've failed each time and i
> do not know where to ask for help, I've been asking in the videolan forum
> but not much there. so I'm looking for your help in compiling the videolan
> player without those extra modules and video codecs, there is already good
[snip]

Independently of the plugin stuff, I think it absolutely would be
useful to have a cut down version of VLC that could be distributed
with Theora/Vorbis files. I'm not sure where you're getting hung up,
it seems to compile okay for me with lots of things disabled.