[theora] bad news: IE9 with HTML5+h264

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Mar 18 05:57:45 PDT 2010

Hannes wrote:
>>> aac. No Ogg-Codecs
>>>
>>> Exactly as expected :-( How long will it take until FireFox and
>>> Opera add H264+MP5+AAC ???
>> It depends on patent expiration !
>
> I don't think it does. If Google doesn't do some VP8-magic very soon,
> html5+h264 will replace Flash on major sites in the next year.
>
> Mozilla will add a plugin-system to their browser that allows adding
> h264 manually or they will lose market share. Opera already uses system-
> gstreamer on unix IIRC. Also for the big-market of mobile devices it
> should be noted that many hardware vendors have h264-licenses so Opera
> could maybe even use those.

Opera is using GStreamer on Windows too. Unless they have come out with
a developer release since I last looked, MacOS X doesn't use GStreamer
*yet* but they are working on it. I believe Opera bundles a minimalist
GStreamer for the development version of Windows and probably will for
OS X as well. How easy it will be to install plugins into the bundled
GStreamer I do not know, I only personally care about Linux.

In my own tests of Linux development Opera with GStreamer and the
fluendo plugins, mp3 worked as well as ogg but h.264 did not work. But
it was a development release so it's not ready. I did not try with the
"bad" or "ugly" gstreamer plugin support for h.264, only fluendo codec
package.

IMHO Mozilla should go the GStreamer route. Not because it needs support
for H.264 but because GStreamer is open source and adding support for
any new media codecs should be as easy as installing a GStreamer plugin.
But it is their decision, not mine.

I'm glad to see IE 9 is at least somewhat embracing HTML 5 now. I
presume that when IE 9 is released, Ogg plugins could be installed into
Windows Media Player or Silverlight or whatever their media backend is
called to give IE Ogg support the same way you can do it with QuickTime
for Safari?