[theora] recommendations for web video bit rates

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 09:07:36 PDT 2010

On 3/15/10, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
> Is there a vendor-neutral site for promoting Theora-playback in browsers?
> PlayOgg.org seems to be about promoting VLC--not in-browser Ogg playing.
>
> I'd like to see a promo site that authors could point users who don't have
> HTML5/Theora capable browsers to while still respecting the browser choices
> the users have already made and without the authors having to maintain
> browser advice themselves.

I actually had a similar idea two years ago for something to add to
spreadopenmedia.org, but I'm afraid nothing came out of it.

I think I could have a stab at it now that there are actual browsers
with video support.  What's the most feasible way to check for video
support right now?  Javascript?  User-agent sniffing?  And if it's the
former, is there a library or plugin out there that already does this?

Oh, and on the IE issue, I think perhaps recommending instead for the
user to install the Ogg DirectShow filters would be a better idea.
The current author of said filters has been hacking its way to make
them work on IE with <video> with successful results, as far as I
know.

Installing a plugin like Flash is no big deal for most users.
Switching browsers, however, is a big no-no to the majority.

-Ivo