[theora] ffmpeg2theora bug: generation of a video from a series of images

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Fri Mar 5 06:13:46 PST 2010

On 03/05/2010 01:26 AM, Michael Opdenacker wrote:
> Hi J.,
>
> We are using ffmpeg2theora to produce an introduction video from a
> series of images:
>
> ffmpeg2theora-0.26.linux32.bin images/img-%03d.png -o intro.ogv
>
> The video that we get is huge and horrible, with lots of blinking colors:
> http://free-electrons.com/issues/ffmpeg2theora-mar5-2010/intro.ogv
>
> Here's what we had in the past:
> http://free-electrons.com/issues/ffmpeg2theora-mar5-2010/intro-correct.ogv
>
> This issue was introduced in ffmpeg2theora-0.25, and a work-around is to
> revert to ffmpeg2theora-0.24
> (http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/ffmpeg2theora-0.24.linux32.bin.bz2). I
> also checked that this problem still happens with the latest snapshot
> release.
>
> All you need to reproduce this bug is in
> http://free-electrons.com/issues/ffmpeg2theora-mar5-2010/
>
> Even though the bug may not be in ffmpeg2theora, it would be great if
> you could fix it. Don't hesitate to ask me to make further tests if this
> can help.
>
> Thanks for this very useful utility,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael.

I just tested this image sequence using png2theora from ptalarabvorm,
and I also got some weird outlining of the text as well as some
flashing.  This image sequence looks like a great test for Theora!

It is a high-contrast text + graphics image that is not overly complex.
It fades-in from black and then fades-out to black again.

I'm sorry this doesn't actually address your concern, though.  But I'm
sure we'll find a solution.