[theora] OGGZ Seeking in Theora

chris at pearce.org.nz chris at pearce.org.nz
Mon Jun 28 07:09:56 PDT 2010

 On Mon 28/06/10  7:57 PM , Stefan Weber s_weber at blyth.ch sent:
> I'd really like to implement a correct seeking functionality.

A quick hack to get visual artifact free seeking with liboggz is to seek to a time which should lie before a keyframe prior to your seek target, and then decode forwards to the target frame. This will mean seeking takes a few more MS (since you'll likely be decoding more than required), but it's better than visual artifacts after seeking, and is easy to implement to get seeking working.

We can calculate the maximum time between frames as:

max_keyframe_interval_ms = ((1 << th_info.keyframe_granule_shift) - 1) * th_info.fps_denominator / th_info.fps_numerator

So seek to max_keyframe_interval_ms before your target and pump the decode until you reach the target frame. You may need to subtract a few extra milliseconds in there if you're not using the seek-rewrite branch of liboggz to work around old edge-edge case bugs.

All the best,
Chris P.