[theora] Live Stream Encoding

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Jun 14 14:16:40 PDT 2010

> Hi There,
>
> i want to stream some pictures out of my application using the Theora
> codec. I can stream to a socket or a file. The current work based on the
> png2theora example. Something while enconding went wrong: I can see the
> whole video in VLC, but the complete duration of the file will not be
> displayed. If i play the video in Firefox, the first 2 seconds will not
> be played. I think the problem is in the setup of the encoder:

So this is a streaming application that you are writing? Is it
streaming out as HTTP? Are the pictures from files or live?

To show the duration in VLC, I think the streaming application needs
to support byte-range requests, which allow seeking over HTTP. You
will also of course need to output a Content-Length HTTP response
header.

For Firefox, byte-range requests are also useful, as are a
Content-Duration HTTP response header or an OggIndex in the generated
stream.

Conrad.