[theora] Cinema automation cues

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 00:36:37 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 7:19 AM, ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
<ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Know what I mean? I'm on Linux, Ubuntu to be precise. What players would you
>> recommend to handle advanced options like this? I realize we might start
>> migrating off of the ogg topic right now, so my apologies ahead of time.
>
> Gstreamer. It can do everything, even if it can be a right pain to debug.
>
> Here, you could use gst-launch to demux embedded text commands to
> stdout as playback progresses, and have a shell script read those and
> run whatever program controls the light system.
>
> If you go the playlist (or external file) way, then you'd typically
> run the player and the parsing/timing code separately. You'd have to
> keep the two in sync though, if you're doing anything else than plain
> play-forward.
>
> For the text file embedded in a skeleton message header, you'd do the
> second method, but with a preprocessing step to extract that info (eg,
> using oggz-info, which I think will print out these headers).

Why not use Ogg Kate and a srt file to include commands instead of
subtitles - then after decoding with libkate (or from gstreamer), you
can simply execute your commands with some other program.

srt could also be used as the external file type, but then you have to
do the synchronisation between the media file and the srt file
yourself.

(I think that's what oggk also means, but I wasn't quite sure, so
thought it worth clarifying).

Cheers,
Silvia.