[theora] Lossless Video Codec

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 15:33:30 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On 07/09/2010 07:20 PM, Daniel Hendrycks wrote:
>> Hi, has the subject of creating a lossless video codec been considered?
>> I know Dirac is available, but it is a hybrid;
>
> There's nothing wrong with a hybrid.
>
>> saving a file and having
>> to set a compression setting is not very intuitive for a novice.
>
> All lossless compressors (FLAC, PNG, zip, etc.) have a compression
> setting.  They trade off compression for CPU time.  I don't see a problem
> here.

Getting the setting wrong won't cause lossyness, however.

It might be more productive to work with the FFvX developers and work
on finding improved alternatives to the know patent-problematic
techniques than to invent a whole new format.

In any case, yes.. code first web-page second.