[theora] Theora and WeBM support in Firefox and Opera

dos386 dos386 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 03:48:36 PDT 2010

> Can you please see if you can still get Opera to freeze in the latest

You did just fix it ?

> http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/06/30/opera-10-60-rc3

Dead link. Oops, Opera 10.60 final is out,
and the bug seems fixed, thanks for your attention :-)

> HTML5 video not working without a DirectSound driver

This ^^^ one (besides 100's of other fixes) ? Maybe "sound vs nosound
video" rather than "Theora vs VP8/WeBM" issue ...

> enroll in the HTML5 experiment before doing anything else. It's
> pretty easy: Click on Join the HTML5 Beta.

Word "Join" changes into "Leave" , only if Javascript is on, no other effect.

> you're supposed to add&webm=1 to the end of the URL.
> &html5=1 will generally work for any video
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5djWO2oCSo&feature=player_embedded&html5=1
> I'll retest with Firefox.

Nope. Yesterday the link did "play" with Opera, today no longer ("Get
Flash Player").
Also appending "&html5=1" or "&webm=1" has no effect. They must have read this
thread and broken the hints given ...

Anyone knows when HTML5 is supposed to be the primary behaviour of
Youtube ? At least they can no longer say "there is no non-beta browser
to view" because there is one: Opera 10.60 :-)

http://devfiles.myopera.com/articles/1891/sunflower-webm.html

http://lachy.id.au/lib/media/elephantsdream/Elephants_Dream-720p-Stereo.webm

Those 2 ^^^ seem to work in both Firefox and Opera.

Other (less critical) issue unfixed in Opera 10.60:

Playing Theora or WeBM video from local storage doesn't work
(IIRC I had already pointed this). Firefox can play local videos,
also Opera will show local PNG's.

The Opera title page now has a WeBM video ... but doesn't work:
no effect if Javascript OFF, if ON it tries to play but no success ???

It would be cool to see on the title page of both opera.com and
mozilla.com links to simple test videos (total cca 8):

- Theora and WeBM
- Sound and no sound
- Small (320x240 maybe) and bigger (maybe 800x600)

--