[theora] Theora Petition on YouTube (Christopher Blizzard)

dos386 dos386 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 04:45:13 PST 2010

The paying doesn't start ... IIRC I had already whined about this some
time ago oops, sent to bad address, damn ...

I wrote (2010-01-09):

Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> > I can't find ^^^ such info :-|
> http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/12/31/re-introducing-video

Thanks, thoroughly hidden, but it's in there ... 2 strange things:

- Menu bar has gone ... deliberate or bug ?
- Video shows control bars, but all what I can do is to move the audio
 volume control button, playing doesn't start !?!?! (it works in Firefox)

> The video has already been captured, so there's no helping my data if
> ffenc_ljpeg isn't lossless (which would be a bit surprising, but possible

JPEG decode output is a bad PNG encode input ...

> The chroma subsampling that mplayer uses/converts to when using yuv4mpeg
> output is always 4:2:0.  This is not useful if you started-off with a
> different subsampling, such as 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, as chroma sampling
> conversions are not lossless in and of themselves, even going
> back-and-forth (higher-lower-higher).

One more flaw (besides no OGG Dirac support, and inability to play a
(self-brewn) YUV4MPEG with an odd width correctly ...).

> How to ensure that two clips have identical information: Decode each
> frame to uncompressed pictures and calculate a md5sum. MPlayer has a
> video output driver, which calculates the md5 sums of the frams.

I've seen it ... but MD5 of what exactly ? Of the 3 YUV planes with
whatever subsampling is used ?