[theora] <video src="*.ogg">

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Jan 14 10:06:52 PST 2010

John Kintree wrote:
> When I tried to view Basil's video streams yesterday, it
> worked with Firefox 3.5.x on both Linux and Windows,
> but failed with Chrome 3.0 on Windows XP.
>
> I get opposite results with
> http://www.citizenofplanetearth.org/citizen.ogg
>
> The only browser I've tried that plays that video is
> Chrome 3.0 on Windows XP.
>
> The <video> tag I'm using is about as simple as can be.
> <video src="citizen.ogg" controls="controls">
> your browser does not support the video tag
> </video>
>
> With Firefox 3.5.x, I see a rectagular area where the
> video player should be, but am unable to play the video.
>
> Unsurprisingly with Internet Explorer 7.0, I just see the
> text "your browser does not support the video tag."

The mime issue seems to be covered by others here.
I would recommend, if you can, also making an h.264 encoded version of
the file for two reasons:

1) It would allow Safari users to see it w/o needing to install extra stuff.
2) It would allow you to use flowplayer as a fallback for IE and Opera
users.

Yes, you can use cortado as a fallback to play .ogv content, but many
users do not have Java installed and to be honest, Java really is not
the best tool for the job. Hopefully basic ogg vorbis/theora comes to
flash soon.

I wrote a php class to embed multimedia content this way:
http://www.clfsrpm.net/embedMedia/

You can see the results here:
http://www.shastaherps.org/herps/AmericanBullfrog#multimedia

It uses html5 media as priority and flowplayer as fallback, and as far
as I can tell, only gives issues to the webkit gtk browsers that have
incomplete html5 media support (they don't have a control bar yet, so
since I don't autoplay, they have no way to start the media)

No JavaScript is required (like some solutions) to get standards
compliant video embedding that "just works" using my technique.