[theora] <video src="*.ogg">

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Thu Jan 14 09:27:11 PST 2010

When I tried to view Basil's video streams yesterday, it
worked with Firefox 3.5.x on both Linux and Windows,
but failed with Chrome 3.0 on Windows XP.

I get opposite results with
http://www.citizenofplanetearth.org/citizen.ogg

The only browser I've tried that plays that video is
Chrome 3.0 on Windows XP.

The <video> tag I'm using is about as simple as can be.
<video src="citizen.ogg" controls="controls">
your browser does not support the video tag
</video>

With Firefox 3.5.x, I see a rectagular area where the
video player should be, but am unable to play the video.

Unsurprisingly with Internet Explorer 7.0, I just see the
text "your browser does not support the video tag."

BTW, I recorded that video with a Canon FS100, which
produces native MPEG2 format video.  Then, I opened
that file with kdenlive, which allowed me to compress
it with theora 2-pass into 600 kbps ogg format, very
easily with just a couple of mouse clicks.

Happily, once I have a video clip in theora format, I
can re-open it with kdenlive, perform a few additional
basic edits, and then re-save it in theora format.  This
is encouraging considering this is kdenlive version 0.7.5.
Regards,
John Kintree
http://www.citizenofplanetearth.org
PS  The video is at the bottom of this page.