[theora] Live Streams

Mircea Gliga mgliga at integrasoft.ro
Mon Jan 4 23:06:32 PST 2010

Hello,
     I also was studying Theora a month ago. I wanted to integrate
Theora in a online conference system. I encoded
the video from a webcam using Theora and Xvid. Then I made a comparison
between Theora and Xvid performaces.
I measured how long does it take for Theora to encode an 640x480 image
from the webcam (th_encode_ycbcr_in and th_encode_packetout
API calls). I was doing this while shaking the camera, generating a lot
of keyframes. On average: *80 ms*.
     Using XVID I've obtained between *20-25 ms* for an image. That's
60ms longer using Theora.
Also, the CPU load was higher in case of Theora.

I've used libtheora 1.1, release_sse2, full optimization.

Used hardware/software:
     Processor    Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5200  @ 2.50GHz, 2400
Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
     Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    2.00 GB
     OS Name    Microsoft® Windows Vista (TM)

Mircea Gliga