[theora] Http adaptive streaming for html5

Eric Carlson eric.carlson at me.com
Mon Jan 4 09:50:10 PST 2010

On Dec 28, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Richard Watts wrote:

>  My first objection is the $2.50/unit I need to pay to the MPEG-LA
> for the MPEG 2 Systems licence to package my video as TS/PS.

  This is a question for the lawyers, and I am *definitely not* a lawyer, but as far as I know no licensing fee is required to create a transport stream.

>  My second is that many hardware demuxes find it extremely
> difficult to cope with PATs and PMTs following each other directly
> and with them immediately preceeding an Iframe. It's going to make
> life hard for STBs and anyone else who doesn't have the computing
> power to do everything software. In practice, you will get a
> frame skip every time you go over a file transition.

  I don't know anything about this issue, but a streaming engineer here tells me "[I have never seen a stream] that didn't have pat and pmt together".

>  My third is that it introduces yet another file format to a program
> that really doesn't need one (and it's not visible to JS either).
> What's wrong with XML?

  The file format is *extremely* simple, why use XML for something like this that doesn't require the complexity?

eric