[theora] [Vorbis] Oggcodecs release 0.82.16930

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 05:48:30 PST 2010

> Just curious regarding the license (i.e. BSD). IIRC FLAC ( flac.sf.net )
> is under GPL.
>
> Or the codecs have an independent FLAC implementation ?
>
> Thanks,
>  Sergei.

I'm quoting from AUTHORS file from flac-1.2.1.tar.gz:

/* FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec
 * Copyright (C) 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007  Josh Coalson
 *
 * This file is part the FLAC project.  FLAC is comprised of several
 * components distributed under difference licenses.  The codec libraries
 * are distributed under Xiph.Org's BSD-like license (see the file
 * COPYING.Xiph in this distribution).  All other programs, libraries, and
 * plugins are distributed under the GPL (see COPYING.GPL).  The documentation
 * is distributed under the Gnu FDL (see COPYING.FDL).  Each file in the
 * FLAC distribution contains at the top the terms under which it may be
 * distributed.
 *
 * Since this particular file is relevant to all components of FLAC,
 * it may be distributed under the Xiph.Org license, which is the least
 * restrictive of those mentioned above.  See the file COPYING.Xiph in this
 * distribution.
 */

Since oggcodecs uses only the codec libraries, it falls under BSD-like license.

Cheers,
Cristian.