[theora] Some questions about Theora IP

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 23:00:48 PST 2010

Hi Maciej,

It might be instructional to read the comments on my recent blog post
about the status of Theora's IP:
http://blog.gingertech.net/2010/02/20/googles-challenges-of-freeing-vp8/

Both Monty and Dan Miller, ex-On2, confirm that the intention and
probably also the legal speak was meant to put everything VP3 out in
the hands of the community.

Also, interestingly, none of On2's patents seem to be directly related
to VP3, but all for optimisations. So there is no fundamental reason
not to have Theora implemented by a third party.

I wonder if these arguments may find it easier for Apple to reconsider
an implementation.

Cheers,
Silvia.