[theora] Fwd: [whatwg] Suddenly, ~40% of IE users get HTML5 Theora with no effort

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 04:25:55 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2010, at 03:12, Remco wrote:
>
>> I'm considering two possible development routes:
>>
>>     1. Implement a Theora decoder in ActionScript or hAxe, much like
>>        Cortado for Java. I'd rather use hAxe, since it's a completely
>>        free development environment. This is obviously a lot of work,
>>        but it could mirror Cortado's design.
>>     2. Compile libtheora with Alchemy to Flash bytecode and use it with
>>        ActionScript. Alchemy's generated bytecode is supposed to be an
>>        order of magnitude faster than what you get with ActionScript.
>>        This seems like less work to me, but that's not counting jumping
>>        through Adobe hoops. Also, it's beta.
>>
>> Both hAxe and Alchemy have a Vorbis project.
>
> Can a Theora bitstream be converted into a valid VP6 bitstream inexpensively? If yes, can Flash load video that's generated locally?

I don't think there is much similarity between Theora and VP6, so you
need to do proper transcoding, just like between Theora and H.264.

I don't quite understand the second question: Flash can indeed load
local files, but you couldn't enforce a hook into Flash to transcode
the remote file before loading the local transcode. This functionality
would have to already be included in the SWF that you download from
the server.

Cheers,
Silvia.