[theora] Steve Jobs about theora

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 21:35:52 PDT 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Shayne Wissler <wissler at gmail.com> wrote:
> If/when it turns out to be true, don't say I didn't warn you.
>
> There is no reliable defense against patents, particularly given how
> it they have been applied to software.
>

> Shayne

About 10 years ago a similar argument was made against Vorbis with the
MP3 people stating that there will certainly be infringements of
patents in Vorbis and they would fight it if Vorbis was infringing on
MP3 patents. They went very quiet very quickly and nothing has ever
been heard from that camp again - it stands to assume they did their
due diligence afterwards and came to a different conclusion.

I would say: bring it on and we'll see where it leads.

The threat of submarine patents has been up for years now - if only an
action would follow, the situation could at least be clarified! As it
stands, everyone can continue to play on FUD, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Silvia.