[theora] Ogv file only plays in VLC / Can't be used by most tools.

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 30 14:56:47 PDT 2010

> I downloaded the Theora encoder sample (ver 1.1.1), modified it to encode a
> sequence of bitmaps, and created an OGV file.

You could also use ffmpeg2theora for that use, it might be easier.

> I tried uploading to YouTube, and the video just comes out really corrupt:

Youtube transcodes the video with an old version of ffmpeg, which does
not work with some features of the Theora bitstream, which were not yet
used by the previous libtheora encoder, but which are used by 1.1.1.

> I tried using ffmpeg to convert to another format, but it gives errors
> (listed below).

Same program as Youtube, though a newer ffmpeg might work.

> It seems like the OGV file is bad in some way, but VLC is somehow 'luckily'
> able to play it.

Likely the file is alright.

> I'd like to have a 'more robust' OGV file, which I can easily upload to
> YouTube or convert to other formats.

You could use an older version of libtheora, though you won't have the
encoder improvements in quality and bitrate. Or moan to Youtube to
update their buggy toolchain.

> In case anyone want's to inspect the OGV file, I've uploaded it here:
> http://cid-0b8a3e1016031fcd.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Out.ogv

That's a... HTML file... with a lot of Javascript.
Maybe it links to a video, though, I haven't searched inside.